Buy the eBook at:
Barnes & Noble
January 1, 2013 | $7.99
Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
eBook | Pages: 272
Size: 5-1/2 X 8-1/4 | USD: $7.99
Publication Date: January 22, 2013
Age: 8-12 | Guided Reading Level: S
Themes: Acceptance & Belonging, Divorce, Family & Relationships, Intergenerational
About the Book
Twelve-year-old Frankie Joe Huckaby can’t find anything good to say about Clearview, Illinois, where he must spend the next ten months living with a father he knows only through birthday cards, a stepmother he didn’t know existed, and four half brothers intent on making him the “freak” of the town. His mother is in jail, so he has no choice . . . or does he?
When life in Clearview becomes unbearable, Frankie Joe hatches a plan to ride his old Rover Sport bicycle 1,400 miles through the middle of the Corn Belt back to the Lone Star Trailer Park in Laredo, Texas. For that he needs money, and so he opens Frankie Joe’s Freaky Fast Delivery Service. But Frankie Joe hasn’t counted on quirky clients, unpredictable winter weather, and his equally unpredictable new family.
His deliveries win new friends for Frankie Joe, a place in the rural Illinois community, and a sense of achievement. But his planned escape is destroyed by a heartbreaking betrayal, and Frankie Joe needs all his incredible resilience and the loving support of his new family to survive the devastating loss.
- IRA-CBC Children's Choice Award
- Bank Street Best Children's Book of the Year
- Texas Bluebonnet Award Master List
- Kansas William Allen White Award Master List
- Kansas State Reading Circle Recommended Reading List
- Missouri Mark Twain Readers Award Nominee
- Nebraska Golden Sower Award, Intermediate Nominee
- South Carolina Children's Book Award Master List